Close your eyes for a moment and imagine waking up feeling five or even ten years younger in your appearance, confidence, weight loss and aura. Ahhh… that feels so good, doesn’t it? The secret to feeling and looking 10 years younger is reducing gut inflammation. Yes….I am serious. Gut inflammation can result in a lack of motivation and an increase in autoimmune disorders, tiredness, and irritability, leaving you feeling worn-out and exhausted. These three simple steps will have you feeling younger, more vibrant, and healthier overnight.
1. Eliminate sugars, bread, and pasta from your diet. Replace those unhealthy carbs with natural options like berries or starch vegetables. Gut inflammation is often exacerbated by food sensitivities. Some food sensitivities are so hidden you may not know you have one without a food sensitivity test. Proactively removing unhealthy carbs and white flours from your diet will aid in the replenishment of your gut lining and reduce the inflammation in your gut.
2. Try some bone broth. Now, please know that I’m a vegetarian, 99.5% vegan, but know many people who have used bone broth with amazing results and that’s why I’ve included it here. Grass-fed bone broth helps to build antibodies, tighten skin cells, and can even reduce the appearance of cellulite. It’s packed with gelatin and collagen which rebuilds your gut lining and helps to strengthen your immune system. Bone broth contains potassium and glycine which aids in liver detoxification. Enjoy it warm for dinner in a soup. Grass-fed bone broth can be found at your local health food store.
3. Eat probiotic foods. Do you like sauerkraut, kimchee or coconut keifer? These foods are said to be healing for your gut and full of probiotics, which replenish your good gut bacteria. Can I just take a probiotic pill? Yes, but probiotics pills have only about 20 different strains and your body might need a different strain (plus supplement pills scan get expensive fast). Go ahead and take a probiotic pill but also have fermented foods with your meals at least once, preferably twice a day.
4. Eat dinner early and eliminate snacking before bed. If you keep eating before bedtime you only extending the time your body has to work at digesting the food you ate that day. When you keep your body working to get rid of the food you ate late night, it has no time to actually go into healing mode as you sleep. Personally, I made this change when I was in my 20s’ and have never looked back. I wake up refreshed, with a flat belly, feeling full of energy and refreshed.
5. Laugh, laugh a lot. Laughing is pure joy and keeps you in a high vibration. Laughing makes you feel wonderful and is healing for your soul. Talk to a toddler (kids say the funniest things). Play with puppies and laugh at how cute and clumsy they are. Watch good clean comedy (Big Bang Theory anyone!) or remember past events with loved ones that made you chuckle.
6. Slow down and enjoy the simple things. Take time to read a book or a slow walk in the park. Don’t move too quickly from one task to another (something I need to work on) and be grateful for the moment. Slowing down makes you feel younger at heart when rushing makes you feel stressed. Always remember, stress will age you quicker than anything.
7. Decide to be happy. I know this is a hard one for many people, including me, because we determine our happiness by external events and people but true happiness is an inside job. You have the capacity to be happy right now if you choose. Happiness makes you smile form your heart and nothing makes you look younger and feel young than a happy smiling person. Every day for the next 40 days, at one point during your day when things may not be going the way you want them too, choose to just be happy right then and there. It doesn’t matter what going on in your external environment. If you’re stuck in traffic choose to be happy and sing along to the radio. If someone is upset with you, know that it’s not about you and send them a blessing and choose to happy. If something happened at work, do your best not to get in a tizzy, take a deep breathe in and remember in the big picture… YOU ARE OK… don’t let anyone, anything or situation rock your boat. Choosing to be happy can be done and the more you try the easier it gets.
8. Last but not least, establish a regular, calming evening routine. Brushing and flossing your teeth every night is crucial to feeling better the next morning. Your mouth is the gateway to your overall health! Spend a little time before bed winding down, reading a book, or writing a journal entry. Meditate or go for a moonlight walk. Ensure you are getting at least eight hours of sleep every night, and commit to taking a little time out of every day for yourself. I personally love an essential oil infused coconut oil self-massage with an inspiring and spiritual book by Dr. Wayne Dyer, Gabrielle Bernstein or Marianne Williamson or a short mediation to relax my body. The greatest change comes from within and the willingness to commit to the change
These five simple steps will usher in a big difference in your overall health and wellness. I recommend committing to these lifestyle changes for at least 21 to 40 days to really begin to see changes and fully repair the inflammation in your gut. By then, you will already have forgotten about those old habits that used to be your norm. That feeling of lethargy and lack of motivation is in the past. You’re well on your way to a healthier, younger you!
Remember, change can be uncomfortable especially if your use to eating late, drinking wine before bed to unwind or staying up watching late night T.V, but you can do it. Stay committed. To your goal of feeling better and looking better and close your eyes for some ZZZ’s.
Now it's your turn. Do you have a Forever Young ritual you do that keeps your body, mind, and emotions forever young? Leave a comment below and share. I'd love to hear it.