Creating a new, healthy lifestyle can be incredibly overwhelming when you think of it as a complete overhaul of your health all at a once. Countless people procrastinate their health goals because they aren’t quite sure where to start. They feel overwhelmed and don’t want to wait to see results. It can be very discouraging.
One of the best ways to improve your health long term is to start with small steps and compound on them over time. For example, start with a few new, healthy habits to begin implementing into your daily life.
After you spend a week getting comfortable with one or two new healthy habits, begin adding 1-2 more in each week until you reach your goals. Here are four of my favorite things I do every day to improve my health.
Warm Lemon Water
Starting off your day with warm lemon water is a fantastic boost to your system first thing in the morning. It is hydrating, alkalizing, it gives you a natural boost of energy, and jumpstarts your digestion. Instead of reaching for that morning coffee, start by implementing a cup of warm water with a squeeze of a half of a lemon and see how your health improves.
Reap the benefits:
- Hydrates the body with a slew of electrolytes and anti-inflammatory properties
- Regulates elimination, stimulates healthy digestion, and detoxes naturally
- Replenishes the skin, alkalizes the body, and is a great source of Vitamin C to build a stronger immune system
This trick takes hardly any time at all. Pick yourself up a tongue scraper to use post-brush each morning. Tongue scrapers are very inexpensive, and can be found at your local health food store. Gently scrape your tongue in a downward motion after you brush your teeth until all white residue is gone. Rinse your mouth out and that’s it!
Reap The Benefits:
- Helps eliminate bacteria that causes bad breath, plaque build-up, and other dental issues.
- Rids toxic buildup on the tongue that may inhibit proper functioning of the taste buds.
- Since you’re ditching those toxins on the tongue, they’re not spreading throughout the rest of your body!
Oil pulling can be done before you brush your teeth each morning. It’s an ancient ritual that improves your oral health and overall well-being. Using coconut or sesame oil, swish a tablespoon of oil in your mouth for 10-20 minutes, starting off slowly if needed to get the hang of it. Spit out the residue in the trashcan or toilet. Do not spit into the sink or shower, as it may clog your drains. Doing this while you shower or complete other tasks is incredibly beneficial as it passes the time more quickly, and is a great use of your time!
Reap The Benefits:
- Naturally whitens your teeth without chemicals or expensive treatments.
- Promotes oral health by ridding the bacteria that causes issues in the mouth such as decay, cavities, etc.
- Can assist in healthy gums, stronger teeth, fresher breath
You may not have heard of this one, but it is so beneficial and simple. Our skin gets bombarded with toxins on a daily basis, whether it be the products we put on our skin or the air we live in so helping your skin detox is incredibly helpful to your health. Get yourself a dry skin brush and begin doing this daily before your showers. Begin brushing at your feet and make your way up, moving toward the heart. Dry brushing detoxifies your body by getting rid of dead skin cells, jumpstarting the lymphatic system, and it enhances your skin. It can also be very relaxing, so, enjoy!
Reap The Benefits:
- Stimulates the lymphatic system & increases circulation, which assists your body in ridding itself of toxic buildup.
- Exfoliates the skin and removes dead skin cells, making way for new, replenished skin cells.
- Calms the body and mind, and reduces stress through relaxation.
I know, I know…I hear it all the time, “I don’t have time to meditate” or, “I can’t stop thinking when I sit down to meditate”. I have definitely had a love/hate relationship with meditation but once I finally decided to make it a daily practice I’ve been thrilled with the results. Sitting down to quiet your mind is a tool that you don’t have to pay any money for and it’s available at all times. Do you want to feel peaceful? Then meditate. Do you want to feel in love with who you are? Meditate. Do you want to change your perspective on life from negative to positive? You got it. Sit down and meditate.
Start with 5 minutes and work your way up to 20 minute in time and notice if you seem to get more things done even though you took time out of your day to sit and do nothing. Miracle!
Reap the Benefits:
- Relief form Stress and anxiety.
- Lowers your blood pressure.
- Better sleep.
- Encourages a healthy lifestyle
- Leaves you happy for no reason.
Overwhelm is not sexy so start one step at a time creating your healthy lifestyle. I'd love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below and let me know what new step have you started to implement into your life.