Summer is here and this time of year we want to look good in our tank tops, bathing suits and pretty dresses. We want to look our best and with a flattering figure. But some of the foods we eat during the summer can bring on the very thing we are striving to release…belly bloat.
I want to offer some easy suggestions to follow to keep your tummy slim and flat to keep you looking sexy during the hot season:
- Stay away from sodas or anything with carbonation.
- Do not eat artificial sweeteners (for belly bloat and general health).
- Cut way back on your sugar intake and that includes sugary cocktails.
- Excess sodium from chips and salty foods will keep you looking puffy. Instead substitute the chips with chopped vegetables sticks.
- Gluten and dairy for many cause very uncomfortable digestive disorders and is best to eliminated if you’re feeling like you’re carrying excess water and bloating in your middle section.
- If you‘ve been taking antibiotics then your gut is very sensitive and vulnerable and taking probiotics is a must to get your gut back in shape. This is a slow and long process.
If you feel there’s nothing summer-like left to eat I’m here to help. Here’s a list of foods to eat to help your body digest well and stay full of nutrition with a flat belly are:
- High fiber foods: Fruits and veggies are my go-to for any meal and snack.
- Drink plenty of water to stay well hydrated.
- If you must have something sweet, and I must, snack on a dark chocolate bar or something sweetened with natural sugars such as raw honey and maple syrup.
- Food that are helpful to fight bloating are fermented foods such as kimchi and sauerkraut, coconut kefir. All these delicious foods help rebuild your gut flora for a healthy gut.
- Enjoy the lighter foods of summer and dine on salads and lightly steamed vegetables.
- Sip on herbal teas. Peppermint, ginger, dandelion root and licorice tea are deeply hydrating and healing to your insides.
- Remember to exercise to burn off fat and excess sugar that would be stored as fat.
- Yoga: any yoga style will be extremely helpful, especially twist. Yoga and will also help you be more mindful of what you eat with a daily and dedicated practice.
The summer months are meant for you to let lose a little and uncover after the winter chill had us wrapping up our beautiful bodies to stay warm. If the lists above are too much to think about changing, then start with one thing at a time. Remove one foods or bloating culprit while adding in one. I always say baby step are the way to long lasting health and it’s the same with anything you want to change including belly bloating.
Leave a comment below and let me know if you have a non-bloating meal you would like to share.