Welcome back! If you missed my last post on saying hello click here to read it.
Autumn is in the air and I love to get outside and connect back to nature. You will be surprised how great it feels to get outside and with no agenda but to to relax.
Make a date with nature. Stopping and smelling the roses was a good prescription for happiness. Have you smelled a flower lately?
Studies have been done to prove the benefits of being outside in nature. Mother Nature offers stress reduction, a natural high, natural exercise from walking and hiking, feeling of connectedness and the natural light helps with our circadian rhythm.
Ok, this is where I can get a little crunchy granola... I dare you to go hug a tree...remember, it’s a living thing. Feel it’s strength and thank the tree for giving you fresh oxygen to breath. This is where playfulness comes in. Connect to your inner child that was curious and free. Beware of trying to hug the geese and the ducks. They bite.
Here are some other Nature ideas:
- Go stretch out in the sun for 5 to 10 minutes in the morning time when the sun is not too strong and soak up vitamin D allowing the warmth to blanket you.
- Lay down in the grass and gaze at the clouds. See what shapes you can come up with. I know I’ve seen Snoopy up in the sky before and I’m not talking about the Macy’s Day Parade.
- Observe a bird. They are mesmerizing to watch.
- Just sit on the grass and feel the breeze as it whooshes through your hair and cheeks.
- When you’re by a stream listen as the water flows by.
- Take a hike and let your mind get lost in the woods.
- Take a bike ride by a river or through the mountains. Make sure you stop to sit on a cold rock.
- If you have the space, create a garden and grow some veggies. This leads to healthier food choices and a great salsa.
- Pack a picnic and eat deliciously healthy foods while listening to the birds chirp. Make sure you leave some crumbs for the ants. Quinoa salad anyone?
I know you’ll feel better when you get outside. You just have to do it. Feeling relaxed and peaceful is an awesome space to be in to make healthier choices for you with your food and your life. Let nature do her work and reap the benefits.
Leave a comment below and let me know you favorite outside activity.