As you read this, we’re right in the middle of summer. Some of my clients have already expressed that summer is almost over. It does seem that the long and lazy summer days go by much faster than winter, however, you can embrace the remaining summer days ahead. Here are some ideas:
1. Be in the moment. Whatever it is you're doing, just be in the that moment. If you catch yourself thinking about how summer is almost over, stop that thought, take a deep breath in and hold it for a moment, then exhale out. Focus on your breathing and that will bring you back to the moment.
2. Get out and smell the flowers. Yes, I know that old cliche sounds corny (fyi, I can get very corny) but it works. Get outside and enjoy the warm sun and the soft breeze. Enjoy the humidity as your hair frizzes- oh wait, that’s me….with all kidding aside, take in the smell of summer, the sun on your skin and the buzz of the bumble bees. Getting in touch with nature lifts our spirits. In today’s world our society stays indoors more often than getting outside, and besides depleting your Vitamin D, you’re depleting your spirit. Get outside and smell the flowers, walk in the grass barefoot and go hug a tree...warning, people will think you're crazy, but your are aren’t you ;-).
3. Do something summer-y….go on a picnic, take a hike, jump in a swimming pool and doggy paddle your way to happiness, catch a baseball game at the stadium (that’s for all the guys) or make ice cream. When I was a young girl my Mom and Dad would make ice cream in their ice cream maker on the back deck and it was so cold and yummy. My Dad’s favorite was Orange Sherbert and my Mom will always be a chocolate lover. I loved all the flavors.
You can make healthy ice creams and there are recipes galore on the internet. Here is a Hot Chocolate Ice Cream recipe from www.vegnew.com, my favorite magazine and blog. I’m 99% vegan, but there are many non-vegan recipes too. Just Google “healthy ice cream recipes” and see what you like.
Makes 1 quart
What You Need:
2-1/2 cups chocolate non-dairy milk
1 ounce unsweetened baker’s chocolate, roughly chopped
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tablespoons arrowroot
1 teaspoon maca powder (if unavailable, substitute malt powder or barley malt syrup)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup chopped vegan marshmallows
What You Do:
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm chocolate milk. Add chocolate, whisking occasionally until completely melted and smooth. Meanwhile, in a separate dish, combine sugar, cocoa, arrowroot, maca, and salt, and stir well to evenly distribute.
2. Slowly sift dry ingredients into milk, whisking vigorously to break up any clumps that may form. Continue to cook gently, stirring every few minutes, until the mixture comes to a boil and has thickened in consistency. Remove from heat, then add vanilla. Let cool to room temperature before moving the base into the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour.
3. Process in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions, adding the chopped marshmallows in the last 5 minutes. Transfer ice cream into an air-tight container. Place in freezer for at least 3 hours before serving, until solid enough to scoop.
Take inspired action:
Commit yourself to enjoying summer YOUR WAY. Put it in your calendar as it’s not a commitment unless it’s scheduled and enjoy summer. Yes, it will end but if you make the effort to enjoy every moment you create amazing memories. Go read a book on a hammock, make lemonade, run through the sprinkler with your kids and laugh every chance you get.
May fireflies light up your night,